Common Auto A/C Problems and Symptoms
How to Recognize Them
The summer months are upon us again, and while we savor the warmth and the fun that the season brings, we also face more serious concerns, like keeping our cars in good condition. One of the issues that can arise during the summer months is a malfunctioning air conditioning system. If your car's A/C system fails, not only will you feel uncomfortable while driving, but it can also be a safety hazard in extreme heat. In this blog, we will discuss some common A/C problems and the symptoms associated with them.
Signs and Symptoms
Many excuses can exist for why your auto’s A/C isn’t working properly. Know the signs and symptoms of a failing A/C, then bring your vehicle to Shepherd’s Automotive so we can fix your A/C system efficiently. We have five signs that your A/C needs attention.
- Insufficient Cooling: If the A/C system in your car is not producing enough cool air, your first thoughts may be that the refrigerant is leaking or the compressor is damaged. However, there can be other reasons for insufficient cooling, such as a clogged A/C system filter or a malfunctioning A/C thermostat. Symptoms of insufficient cooling can include warmer air blowing out of the A/C vents, inconsistent cooling, or even the smell of mildew coming from the vents.
- No Cooling at All: If the A/C system in your car is not generating any cold air or is not turning on, the compressor may have failed, or there could be a refrigerant leak somewhere in the system. Other symptoms could include strange noises or excessive vibrations coming from the A/C system or your car's engine. If your car's A/C system is not functioning at all, it is essential to have it inspected and repaired by an experienced auto technician as soon as possible.
- Blowing Hot Air: If the A/C system in your car is blowing hot air, it could be caused by a variety of issues, including a clogged or damaged condenser, a failing A/C compressor, or low refrigerant levels. You may also hear hissing sounds coming from the A/C system, or you may notice the leak of refrigerant or oil. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it's time to take your car to a qualified auto repair service provider.
- Unpleasant Smells: If your car's A/C system emits unpleasant odors, such as a musty or moldy smell, it could be caused by bacteria or mold growth in the evaporator or other parts of the system. Other causes may include contaminated refrigerant, clogged air filters or ductwork, or worn-out interior components. You may also experience flu-like symptoms, like sneezing or coughing, when you use your car's A/C system if there is a problem with the indoor air quality.
- Electrical Issues: Electronic problems with your car's A/C system may cause its failure to function. The electronic issues may involve a failed relay or fuse, leading to a system that doesn't start or doesn't work as expected. Additionally, issues with the electrical system may prevent the compressor from receiving the power required to operate.
Visit Shepherd Automotive for A/C Issues
Keeping your car's A/C system functioning correctly will ensure peace of mind, comfort, and safety during the hot summer months. One of our experienced and knowledgeable technicians can diagnose and fix any A/C system issues. If you're looking for auto A/C repair service in Oklahoma City, OK, visit us at Shepherd Automotive. We have the expertise, experience, and advanced technology to solve any A/C system problem you may encounter.